Friday, April 19, 2013

Rather than reproduce comments already on My Blog, as I inventively titled postings of 'all the goss from a writer's life' back in 2006 when bloggers were rare as natterjacks, I intend to make this a collection of interesting snippets from online and offline sources. This is playwright David Lane on the craft of drama and dramaturgy:
"You walk into the Tate Modern with a certain set of interpretive tools: are these tools the same ones you expect to take into a theatre? What do you expect from an art gallery in terms of meaning, and how is that different to what you expect when you walk into a theatre? Why? 
One of the tasks I recently gave writers was to adapt a Picasso painting. What would it look like if it were a play? What happens to character and place and time and structure? We were looking at later Picasso…cubist, refracted images…
Why can’t we write a play like that? Why do most plays look like photos not Picasso paintings?"
It's an interesting question, so I've set myself to write a ten minute play that looks like this image.

The rest of David's talk is on Hanna Silva's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment